Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Book Review - Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

I recently finished Dark Lover. It was the first book I'd read by J.R. Ward ans having heard people rave about it I started the book with high hopes. I found the beginning really hard to get into for some reason, but once I kept reading I found I really loved it.

Wrath was an interesting male lead, his issues with his eyesight and the helplessness and shame over his parents death led to a depth of emotion and complexity which i appreciated. And who doesn't love a sexy tortured soul?! Beth seemed to react the way any normal girl would...shock, disbelief, fear. I liked how her personality wasn't affected too much by the change, and how she was the one ***Spoiler alert*** defending Wrath after he was shot. Rhage's inner beast and the sensitivity she displayed after he was hurting was truly heartwarming and I really liked it. Can't wait to read Rhage's book because of it. However I'm more curious about Zsadist...there's something about him that really appeals to me.

One thing I didn't like was the way the male characters had names (that admittedly took some getting used to) like Rehvenge, Phury, Zsadist and Vishous. But the female character had boring names like Beth, Marissa and Mary. Seemed rather unfair to me. But I guess the way it was written was that it was a very male-dominated group so it stands to reason their names would separate them.

I LOVED the inclusion of Butch and Marissa's interactions. Including a human in the warriors group added a whole new subplot that I kind of enjoyed more then the main plot of Wrath and Beth's relationship. And the way he idolized Marissa seemed like such a happy change after the way she'd been shunned by Wrath. It's always nice to see a female character get appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Would you say it was the best birthday present ever? ;) Can't wait until I get my own copies.

    ReplyDelete